Friday, February 5, 2010

"Land Down Under" - KB

A while back I was bored in my apartment out in Park Slope, Brooklyn and was messing around on Garage Band (shout out to the simplest, yet awesomest music program ever created, by Mac of course). It was either April or May of '08, if I remember correctly. About a week before said boredom I was up in Harlem (holla) at my buddy Ben's place, aptly nicknamed Benji, Ben Laden, or How You Ben?, and we were jamming acoustic guitars. For some reason we started playing a chord progression that reminded me a lot of "No Woman No Cry" meets "Crazy Game of Poker" by OAR, meet's "Land Down Under" by Men At Work. It was another one of those music moments; the one like "The Great Escape," but with a far less emotional and "I love you man" context to it. This was more like "wow, that was pretty cool man," while both our heads were staring straight up at the sky, screaming...."can't you hear, can't you hear that thunder. You betta run, you betta take cover!"

This song was then stuck in my head for a while, and that random day in Park Slope turned into a recording session. Instead of the birkenstock wearing, clove smoking, tree hugging, vegetarian version of the same tune we jammed earlier in the week, I decided that just a piano and the lyrics would do; kind of an Emo version if you will. Zero production, zero mixing, a midi keyboard, and one take. It's amazing how the context of a song changes when you take out all of the bells and whistles and just strip it down to the core; the original way it was written. Here's my take on "Land Down Under" by Men At Work. Thoughts are welcome (unless they're bad [joke]).

No comments:

Post a Comment