Saturday, January 30, 2010

Marvin Gaye. Enough Said.

OK. So since I've been a little drummer boy and following different types of music for the past 29 years, I've always found the various National Anthem performances to be either intriguing, embarrassing, or just plain weird. There are few that stick out in my head in a good way. In a bad way, you can't forget Jordin Sparks lip-syncing at the Super Bowl two years ago, or Whitney Houston a few years ago, profusely sweating like Patrick Ewing on the foul line, looking like she may or may not have slept the night before. BUT, I will tell you one that sticks out in my mind forever, cheesy background music and all...Mr. Marvin Gaye at the 1983 All Star NBA game. I doubt I truly remember seeing it, but I truly remember doubting there is a better version of our countries theme song. Thanks to Scott Jacoby for reminding me of this a few years ago. (www.scojac.com shameless plug).

Only Marvin could 1) cut up the arrangement into a different time signature, 2) have a 1980 Casio keyboard demo beat in the background and 3) have girls screaming, 7' professional hoops player nodding, and folks acting like they bought tix to Showtime at the Apollo, all while singing the National Anthem. Pure genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment